Reluctant to go home.

There's too much to do before going home! Today I had the chance to do some procedures on the ward, something I am really grateful for being allowed to do. But all the time in my mind is the fact that I won't be here much longer to make the most of it. It is not that these opportunities don't exist in the UK, but that there I feel like I'm getting in the way, and only help with menial tasks. The set up is no different here and the situations usually more serious, yet I feel permitted to and encouraged to take part. Also I can't be at the right place at the right time as much as I can be over here- I find the miniscule nature of the clinical services here really useful for getting around- compare our training hospitals where it takes 15 minutes to get from the ward to the xray department via lifts and crowds. I can be myself around everyone here, even amongst those few who take pleasure in ridiculing students- they are endearing, in a way. That makes a huge difference to my learning and enjoyment. I am not constrained by any social rubbish; I can say and do as I please, and I am encouraged to grow. I hope I hold on to this when I return to the UK, even if the environment is not conducive to it- I have met people at home who are like this so I know it is possible. And there aren't enough days left for the number of people I want to have dinner with, let alone see the Wassu stone circles.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When r u coming home- what day, what time- let me know cause i can't wait!
Anonymous said…
Don't worry! I had the same thing from this summer when I came back from CERN. If I could have, I would have stayed there forever. But the summer finished, as did my contract. Fortunately, I've got lots of new friends, and plenty of stories to tell. Bad idea: start getting sad about 2 weeks before you're due to leave. Good idea: Enjoy it whilst it lasts, and make the most of EVERY SINGLE SECOND!

Popular Posts