Lamin Lodge

Yesterday we had lunch at Lamin Lodge. This is a popular restaurant built on the head of a creek, but as has been usual during my stay so far, there were no other tourists. Its a fun place because you have to cross a rickety bridge and climb a rustic timber spiral staircase to get in, and there are no walls so you can see panoramas of the tribuatary and mangroves while eating. For the same reason, monkeys swing onto the table to join in the feast. Allegedly the table markers double as tools to bludgeon the animals with :(.

In one of his first emails to me, Rob (hello!) asked if I'd eaten any fish or ridden any bicycles yet. That email made me laugh so much (the effect was greater because the email was a one-liner) as it immediately brought to mind what I thought was a famous drawing (but I can't find it on Google) of a fish riding a bike. Anyway, at Lamin, I at last decided to taste some typical Gambian seafood. The meal was made just for us so we had to wait almost two hours, but it was worth it. I had grilled ladyfish with lime, and was pleasantly suprised. I should've known- all the local produce is fresh and therefore really tasty.


Lamin Lodge
Lamin Lodge
Click photo to enlarge




A little about mangroves:
When I was little I read a (horror) story about mangroves, and had always wanted to see them. Mangroves are amazing- they can grow in brakish water. They send roots towards the moisture and effectively create new land. The wildlife that thrive here include colobos monkeys, dwarf crocodiles, Maxwell’s duikers, Gambian sun squirrels and green touracos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow 2 interesting blog entries. Lamin lodge seems a very fascinating place. And even wow, I thought you hate fish or seafood. Especially with what you told me over phone. I guess there is a time for a change. Glad to see you are enjoying the food.

Crouzon's syndrome, I've seen that in a book. Yeah they do have proptosis and wide spaced eyes. Does he have severe learning difficulties, or just some problems. And his' twin, not identical? Surely his twin should have this condition if its autosomal dominant? do the parents have any signs of this conditon? Does this condition make the child infertile?

Sahan
Anonymous said…
or is this just a new mutation?
- said…
Hi Sahan
Yes, I usually don't like to eat fish, but I think the freshness makes a huge difference.

I'll reply about Crouzons on that post.

SC
Anonymous said…
Awesome! Now you're really starting to sound exotic!! What on earth are Maxwell's duikers and Gambian sun squirrels and touracos?? Fantastic!!!! Ash
- said…
Haha :) It's due to David. He knows and tells us all sorts of random things about wildlife (he did his PhD in fish immunology!).

Duikers are antelopes. The squirrels are squirrels.
Touracos are really agile birds that you can only see in the wild in Africa. They've got funny feet. The outer toe of each foot can face either forwards or backwards.

Popular Posts