This is where I'm staying



Most of my friends reading this would know about 'my' Pods. The Pods are large packets of seeds on a tree in Lexham Mews, Earls Court, London- a little area that has a big place in my heart for no particular reason. Well the tree (which you can just about discern in this photo) outside the Visitors' Accommodation here is the same type (I think!) except everything about it is bigger, and the pods are giant! The Gambians let them fall off and dry, and then use them as percussion instruments. That's why there is a pile of them on the ground- you can see that too, in the bottom left corner.

Comments

- said…
They are the same type of tree. I've been told that this tree originates from Europe. That's why it is called Tubabohnetto- Tubab= European; children in The Gambia shout 'Tubab' when they see non-black people, because they think they are European. I'm going to be taken to see the African version of this tree later this week :).

Popular Posts