You had to be there

Along with my anti-malarial prophylaxis, I am force-fed a daily dose of breathlessness-inducing laughter. I don't know if these stories would have the same effect on you.

The case of the gurgling urinator

A mother was relating the history of her sick child to the doctor. She also had a toddler strapped to her back with a cloth, in the way most Gambian women carry their babies. The toddler was very receptive, smiling and vocalising a lot, and quite fun to play hide and seek with. When it was time to take blood from the sick child, I had to stop playing. The next time I looked at the toddler, he had raised his mum's skirt, and was urinating, as though he was aiming at her leg. He moved around as if he was trying to make sure no area was left dry. She was soaked, but carried on talking with the doctor as though nothing had happenned, and then very graciously tidied up the mess!


The curse of the chairs

For no reason at all an adjustable computer chair broke in such a way that the platform lowers when anyone sits on it (and rises up once the person leaves the chair, in order to catch the next unsuspecting sitter). This had my housemates and I in hysterics, especially because each of us thought we could fix the problem but we always failed, and plummetted. The next day in clinic the doctor sat on a similar chair all morning without any problem. When he stepped out for a moment I grabbed my chance to have a seat, but the curse had returned and I was almost sitting on the floor again, so I left the chair, and the platform duly rose. When he returned and sat down, he dropped too. Ok, you really had to be there.

And finally

The African pronounication of 'divorce' is 'die worse'.

Comments

Popular Posts