Hey hey its Saturday

This Saturday is Set-settal day, which I'm told means that during the morning, everyone must engage in cleaning. It was originally scheduled for last Saturday but was cancelled because the Netherlands beat The Gambia in the football World Cup qualifier rounds. I don't get it either.

Sorry about the title, but wasn't it a children's TV programme or a catchphrase in one? And speaking of TV programmes I never forget my toothbrush thanks to the show that urged us not to (I don't think I ever watched it though, but now, a few days in to my elective, I've realised which things I didn't bring that would have been useful. Like the resealable container that mum wanted to give me but I insisted was uneccessary. Oh how I crave a resealable container. I learnt to cook without measures, and I invariably make too much, so I need somewhere to store the leftovers or someone to eat with me. So Marian (my neighbour who I mentionned before) and I have started cooking together. We synchronise quite well.

Since this has become a food thread- I bought some loaves of tapalapa, the local bread, for next week's lunch. It comes from an inconspicuous shop where you have to screw up your eyes to see the assistant because he stands with his products behind a metal grilling, without any lighting. I like the local flavours. You'd think it is difficult not to eat meat or fish in rural areas but I heard of a vegetarian girl who is staying in a village up-country and is managing. Her role in yesterday's chores was to identify and remove as many grubs as possible (not all!). Imported food is predictably expensive but some of it is worth trying. Today we visited an ice-cream parlour that is part of what is known as the best hotel in The Gambia, where dignitaries stay (I'll insert the name later). The cone was the best I've ever had.

Comments

Popular Posts